Did you know that you can smoke sweet potatoes on your Pit Boss? Sweet potatoes are big during the holidays, especially Thanksgiving and Christmas. But if you’re like me, you prefer them over regular potatoes because they are tastier. It does take a while to smoke them, but I’ll show you how to smoke sweet potatoes on your Pit Boss for your next meal!
Cooking Sweet Potatoes on a Pit Boss Pellet Grill
Turn the pellet grill on to 250°F, coat the potatoes with salt, and olive oil. Let them cook with smoke flowing for about 2 hours or until they are as soft as you prefer them.
This was the first time I cooked sweet potatoes on my Pit Boss. Overall, I’m happy with the way they came out. One of the things I noticed that the skin had a great smoky flavor and the flesh was so soft and had a great taste.
I wrote this guide for other Pit Boss users, but it will work for anyone with a pellet grill. You will have to adjust the temperature settings accordingly depending on your grill settings.
Read this guide if you want to learn how to bake potatoes on a Pit Boss pellet grill.
How to Prepare The Sweet Potatoes for Smoking
Unlike other foods, sweet potatoes are not hard to prep. That said, they do require some preparation.
Wash the Potatoes
Run the potatoes under cold water and use a fruit and vegetable cleaning brush to remove all the dirt and grime. Whether you eat the skin or not, you still want to ensure you clean the skin.
- COMBINATION OF DUAL ACTION BRISTLES: Features two different nylon bristles: angled gentle grey bristles for mushrooms, delicate produce, while stiff straight white bristles for scrubbing potatoes, radish, cucumbers and more.
- THOROUGH CLEANING: MR.SIGA produce brush with durable nylon bristles quickly remove dirt, stain on produce, it's definitely a handy, helpful tool to efficiently get your fruits and vegetables clean which save your precious time. Built-in plastic remover is designed for removing potato eyes.
- COMFORTABLE GRIP: MR.SIGA vegetable brush is designed with an ergonomic shape which conforms to contour of your palm, TPR covered non slip surface fits comfortably in your palm, it won't slip out of your grasp even when wet for tough scrubbing.
- USE & CARE: Easy to use and dishwasher safe. Simply hold produce under running water while scrubbing for best results. Rinse with water after each use and air dry.
- MR.SIGA's mission: Make your housework easier, and make the world cleaner. If you’re not happy about the product, you’re covered by a full refund. Please do not hesitate to contact us with any questions you may have, we are here for support and advice!
Cleaning the skin not only removes dirt and grime, it also removes any potential chemicals, pesticides, and bacteria. Here’s a complete guide on how to clean potatoes before cooking.
Poke Holes in the Potatoes
Whether I’m grilling regular or sweet potatoes, I always use a fork to poke holes in them. The holes allow the steam to escape, so they don’t explode.
I’m not sure if this is actually necessary, but I figured it doesn’t take very long to poke holes in them.
After the potatoes have been washed, place the potato on a cutting board. Push the fork into the potato. You don’t want to push too far, but far enough to where you can see the holes.
I do this at least 3-4 times on all sides of the potato. There’s no set rule on how many holes you puncture into the potato, you just want to make sure you do a few.
Season the Potatoes
Brush some olive oil on the potatoes using your hands. Coat the entire potato. Next drizzle some kosher salt onto the potatoes.
Once you’ve prepped the potatoes, it’s time to get them on the pellet grill.
How to Smoke Sweet Potatoes on Pit Boss
As I mentioned above, this was my first time smoking sweet potatoes, and this video shows you the steps I took. Of course, I’ll explain the process below, in further detail.
What Temperature to Smoke Sweet Potatoes?
I smoked mine at 250°F on indirect heat for about 2 hours and 20 minutes. At 225° Fahrenheit, expect it to take about 3 to 3.5 hours. If you want them done faster, you could bump the temperature up to 275°F and it will take around 1.5 hours.
How Long Does It Take To Smoke Sweet Potatoes?
Expect it to take at least 2 hours when smoking at 250°F. Cook time will vary depending on the size, amount of potatoes, and how you like them cooked.
Those that prefer their potatoes al dente, won’t have to wait as long as I did. Your whole sweet potatoes are ready when it can easily be pierced with a fork and the fork doesn’t get stuck.
You can also use your trusty meat thermometer and pull it off the smoker when it has reached an internal temperature of 210° degrees Fahrenheit.
If you’re like me, they’ll be done before the other food. That’s okay, you can keep them hot for several hours in the oven or convection oven at 170F.
Place The On The Grates
Put the whole potato directly on the grill. If you want your potatoes to cook faster, you can fan them like this site. I cooked the whole potato as is.
Whenever I cook potatoes, I always place them directly on the grates. Make sure the flame broiler plate is closed as you want them cooked using indirect heat.
Best Pellets for Smoking Sweet Potatoes
Opt for sweet flavored pellets such as Apple, Cherry, or Maple. These flavors will help bring out sweet flavor of the sweet potato, making it even more delicious.
I cooked my potatoes using the Pit Boss apple pellets and highly recommend using them.
- No artificial flavors, spray scents, glues or chemicals
- Burn hotter and cleaner
- Pellets are easy to use, great tasting and all natural, forcing the natural juices in the wood to bind the pellets together
- Our raw wood is sourced across North America to make a superior product
Brown Sugar and Cinnamon Butter
- Brown Sugar (to taste)
- 1/2 stick butter (room temperature)
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
While the potatoes are cooking, grab a bowl as we’re going to prepare a flavorful butter topping.
Whisk together the butter salted butter, cinnamon, and brown sugar. After mixing to taste, roll it back up in a piece of Saran Wrap and refrigerate.
This will allow the mixture to harden and make it easier to put on your potato.
What to Serve With Sweet Potatoes?
This starchy potato can be served for lunch or dinner. Most people in the United States will eat sweet potatoes as a side dish, but there’s nothing wrong with eating it by itself if you choose.
Roasted sweet potatoes partner with steaks, chicken, or any other type of protein.
Aim for veggies that are high in vitamins such as roasted broccoli, Brussel sprouts, or asparagus. These veggies not only look great on the plate, but they complement smoked sweet potatoes.
Here’s what my family had for dinner with our Pit Boss smoked sweet potatoes.
Smoking sweet potatoes are one of my favorite things to do. Yes it takes a while, but once it’s on the Pit Boss, you don’t have to worry about it for at least two hours.
Whether you’re looking for something to prepare for Thanksgiving or Friday night dinner, you can’t go wrong with this.
Everyone will love the smokey, sweet taste with the brown sugar and cinnamon butter!